Home : Committee Minutes > Physical Facilities/Utilities

Selected Physical Facilities/Utilities
Physical Facilities
Apr 01, 2011
PDF Version: 10068_2011-Apr-01_Physical Facilities .pdf

 
VILLAGE OF EPHRAIM
FOUNDED 1853


Physical Facilities/Utilities Committee Minutes
FRIDAY, APRIL 1, 2011– 12:00 PM  
Village Offices at Norway and Q
 
Members Present: Chair Sue Sherman, Jane Olson, Diane Kirkland, Eric Kordon, Mike
Mittermann – Maintenance Supervisor, and Charity Buhr – Administrator/Clerk.
 
1. Call to Order
Chair Sherman called meeting to order at 12:00 pm
 
2. Changes in Agenda
No changes at this time.
 
3. Previous Minutes: February 2, 2011
Olson moved, seconded by Kirkland to approve the February 2, 2011 Physical Facilities
meeting minutes as presented.  Motion passed.
 
4. Visitors’ Comments*
Kirkland questioned the garden at the maintenance area.  Buhr explained that the Board
will be discussing the reed beds at the April11 meeting and at that time the garden will be
addressed.  Buhr will also be discussing with the engineers a timeline.  This will be
finalized shortly.
 
5. Discussion and recommendation regarding Hwy 42 Improvement Project
Buhr informed the Committee that she has been in contact with the WiDOT and they will
have more information for the May meeting.  They are having difficulty finishing up their
survey work due to the snow.  Buhr also informed the Committee that the WiDOT
representative explained that they will be providing information and timelines by the next
meeting.
 
6. Discussion and recommendation regarding Resurfacing Upper Cherry Street Steps  
Buhr informed the Committee that the upper Cherry Street steps are in disrepair.  She
would like to know if the Committee would like Mittermann to get estimates on re-
surfacing the steps or on replacing them?  Mittermann explained that they are in severe
disrepair.
Kirkland questioned replacing them with metal steps versus replacing the concrete.  
Mittermann stated that the metal would rely on the underlying cement which is
disintegrating.  
The Committee would like to get estimates for the next meeting.
 
7. Discussion and recommendation regarding removing overhead WPS lights and
placing Village Streetlights
• Premier Properties
The Committee discussed that the light pole is hidden.  This is in the trees on the north
side of Church Street.  The Committee would like to wait until the summer to look at
the removal or replacement of this light.
April 1, 2011 Physical Facilities Meeting Minutes
Page 2 of 3
 
 
• Smith Garage  
The Committee discussed the light on the parking area, whether or not there is a light
needed.  The Committee would like place a light on the building versus a village
streetlight, maybe a timer or motion light.
 
• Poplar Street @Cedar Street
The Committee discussed if the area would be good for a village streetlight.  Olson
commented that it may be a better policy to light some darker areas in the Village and
then look at lights that are unnoticeable to the common person.   
 
Kordon moved, seconded by Olson to recommend to the Village Board to place a light
fixture on the Smith Garage to light the parking area.  Motion passed unanimously.
 
8. Discussion and recommendation regarding Fyr Bal staffing
Buhr explained that the EBC has made a request to the Village to add additional staffing
and services to Fyr Bal.  Some of the requests aren’t possible to fulfill and others are of a
concern.
The EBC would like picnic tables and garbage cans brought to the north end near their
carnival area.  The Village does not have additional cans or tables to provide.
The EBC would like the Village staff to barricade the parking lot of Wilson’s on Sunday
morning for an ice cream eating contest.  This will not be a problem, should be able to be
taken care of easily.
The EBC would like the Village maintenance staff to place re-bar and caution tape along
Hwy 42 near the carnival area to discourage parking along Hwy 42.  Buhr stated that this
is an event being held on private property and she thinks that this isn’t the place for the
Village to set a precedent.
The EBC would like the Village maintenance staff to clean the carnival area Friday,
Saturday, and Sunday evenings.  This is the portion of the event that takes place on private
property and should be the responsibility of the EBC and the maintenance staff is already
fully booked that weekend cleaning up and being responsible for the downtown Village
owner property areas.
 
The Committee discussed the resource issue and the fact that the Village only has so many
people to do the work assigned.  The concern is wanting to express our need to want to
help the EBC; however, resources are an issue.
 
Kirkland moved, seconded by Olson to recommend to the Village Board to bring the
figures on loaded labor rate and how much the village already donates to Fyr Bal in labor
and other, that the new section on private property on the north end be the EBC
responsibility, and to review the expanded costs for Fyr Bal 2011 after the event.  Motion
withdrawn, second withdrawn.
 
Kirkland moved, seconded by Olson to recommend to the Village Board that the new
section on private property on the north end be the EBC responsibility due to limited
resources and provide figures on loaded labor rate and how much the village already
donates to Fyr Bal in labor and other resources in past years and to review the expanded
costs for Fyr Bal 2011 after the event.  Motion passed unanimously.
April 1, 2011 Physical Facilities Meeting Minutes
Page 3 of 3
 
The Committee wanted to reiterate the need to want to help but the resources are a
concern.  
 
9. Discussion and recommendation regarding Physical Facilities Monthly Report
The Committee discussed the physical facilities report.
The Fire station furnace was fixed due to breakdown
The spring cleaning is taking place.
 
10. Projects in Process
See Physical Facilities Monthly Report
Beach Signage for next meeting
Handicapped parking at Admin for next meeting.
 
11. Next Meeting
April 26, 2011 at 12:00 – Olson may not be able to attend.
 
12. Adjournment
Kirkland moved, seconded by Olson to adjourn at 1:28 pm.  Motion passed unanimously.
 
Recorded By,
Charity Buhr, WCMC
Administrator/Clerk
 



Archive View all from: 2018 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2009